One of the dangers inherent in regularly checking sites like Red Flag Deals, is that every so often you will want to take advantage of said deals ... whether or not you had really been in the market for said products! That happened to me this week. Now I've long been on a quest for pain-free computing solutions, that perfect (and quite likely nonexistent) keyboard and mouse combination that will allow me to work in comfort instead of spending the rest of the day with an aching head, neck, or shoulder - or quite likely all three. So when I happened upon a deal on the Microsoft 4000 ergonomic keyboard, I got my hopes up yet again. I followed the forum posts (even asked one of my own about the keyboard touch), checked reviews on other sites and, to make a long story short, ended up ordering my very own, with high hopes for many happy hours of typing. I even dug up an ancient (PS2 connection anyone?) iteration that got relegated to the basement primarily for its stiff keys - I actually liked the layout just fine. But I wanted to reevaluate the concept before plunking down my Visa card. So, for the record, here's what went on in my own personal testing (and thought) processes this morning:
OK, I am in Word with my ancient ergonomic keyboard to see if it really does feel better or not. Feels a little strange at first, especially getting the n key and the period. But I seem to be adapting quickly. Would it really help my shoulder is the big question. Also, these keys are a bit stiff for me, but supposedly the newer model has a lighter touch. I think I would like to try it. Maybe then I would keep my mouse off to the left and that would help my right side too. Not sure why it’s making a difference, but so far my shoulder isn’t hurting. Will just try the old one for a sec (not connected) for comparison.
Actually, I realized I can have two keyboards plugged in with no problem. And even though I’ve only been typing for a few seconds, this flat model feels worse. My shoulders and arms feel like they’re hanging in limbo, as if there’s a lot more pressure on them. Weird! Think I’ll head back to Mr. Ergonomic. He’s ugly and big, but if he does the trick ... (and anyway the newer model is only big, not ugly).
Okey dokey, here I am. Keys are a lot harder to press (more work for the wrists; a lighter touch will be very important), but overall I’m more comfortable. I think it’s because of the raised nature of the keyboard more than the split keys (although maybe they do help keep my arms at a more natural angle).
So now, for the fun of it, I lowered the ergonomic keyboard. Still feels better though. My wrists are still resting a bit on its very spacious rest and it still feels goooooood. Maybe it is worth trying the newer model. Can’t hurt; might help. Let’s make a pro/con list:
PRO CON
- (big pro) could help my shoulder!!!!!
- Comfy wrist rest/support
- Very affordable price (used to be ap. $70)
- Some handy keys (zoom/scroll, forward & backward), plus shortcut keys and media controls
- Might not make that much difference
- Not free (ap. $26.50 after tax)
- Bigger on the desk
- Not a French model
Well, that didn’t help. Pros and cons are even; in fact I had to stretch a bit for the pros. I suppose technically the cons have the edge. But ... it is such a good deal and I would really love anything that give me even a chance of computing in less pain. Think I’ll go get the credit card now.
P.S. I’m ordered – eventually. That’s after going through a whole rigmarole with Visa because my card had never been verified for online purchases. But a very helpful lady walked me through the process and I’m good to go from now on. Sure hope it’s all worth it!!! (One bonus: for some reason Newegg.ca doesn’t charge PST. That brings the total with taxes down another $2.36.)
No comments:
Post a Comment