In the wee hours of the morning on August 15th, my beloved beagle Topaze took her last breath on this earth. Now she is prancing about heaven with Nicky and Taffy and Perky and all the other dogs who left before her. And I fully expect her to be waiting, tail awag, when I arrive many years from now.
I loved her so much and I miss her so much. I can still feel my hands running over her sleek back, sliding down her tail, and especially stroking her beautiful velvet ears. Without her I somehow feel empty and incomplete. I've had a beagle in my life for the bulk of my life - thirty years now! Beagles aren't the easiest breed, it's true ... just the best.
I am definitely a beagle girl. Topaze (and Perky before her) taught me all about love and loyalty, bravery and forgiveness and I know made me a better, happier person. Some of the very happiest moments of my life are the simplest: strolling leisurely by the lake, snuggling together on the bed in the morning and, especially, reading on the loveseat in my library, Topaze curled warmly on one side, Hershey on the other. Now Topaze's earthly remains are watching from atop a bookshelf, next to Perky's. So they're both close to me still; just not the way I'd wish it. Dogs' biggest flaw, really, is that they do only live fifteen years or so. But I guess we should be grateful it gives us a chance to meet so many.
And what a wonderful fifteen years I had with Topaze! We did obedience and flyball, had hikes in the woods, a few trips to the Maritimes, and countless walks by the water. And when I am ready - and it could be soon - I hope I will be led to yet another beautiful beagle girl to share my life with and to brighten my every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment