Sunday, January 20, 2013

And I Like Anne Murray Too

As long as I'm in the musical confessions mode, I might as well also admit that one of my all time favourites is Anne Murray. I've always been aware of her, of course (and it feels as if I've heard "Snowbird" - admittedly not my favourite - so often it could practically be a second Canadian anthem). But I wasn't a genuine fan as a child or teenager. She sort of grew on me as I grew. I really appreciate her mellow, soothing voice and two of my all time most listened to cd's are her inspirational "What a Wonderful World" and her more recent "Duets".

Other favourites? Well, Celine Dion was for a very long time, although she's fallen a bit out of my favour of late. I find her a bit strident sometimes now. I loved The Rankin Family. I quite like k.d. Lang. I liked Charlotte Church, although she's pretty much disappeared off the radar. I really enjoyed Air Supply - at least their classic songs; I'm not crazy about their last few albums. I like Josh Groban, Il Divo and The Canadian Tenors. I love most musicals too, whether from movies or Broadway.

I suppose those are all pretty unconventional - or just plain boring depending on your point of view - choices. Dan calls my music "mobic" or "shlop". I call it relaxing and pleasant and happy. Definitely very easy listening - no stress, no discord. Music is one of those things we never can or will agree on. We don't even have an "our song" ... and chances of our ever finding one seem to be slim. Still, I like what I like and if it makes me happy then I don't see a problem with it. Music is so personal; you can't ever say someone's preferences are wrong. That being said, however, I'll admit I don't understand how Dan - and millions more, apparently - can possibly enjoy the raucous tones of something like the Led Zeppelin he listened to for hours yesterday. Or worse things like The Rolling Stones. (Although there is usually a song or two from even the groups I hate that I don't find too unbearable.) And I will never get hip hop or rap so long as I live - especially when they have violent or degrading lyrics. Such a sad thing for impressionable ears and minds to be absorbing. Gee, I do sound about eighty! Guess I am the ideal Lawrence Welk audience. But somewhere out in this wide world there have to be other people with such ... unique ... musical tastes as me. Don't there? ...

No comments:

Post a Comment