I'm not naive enough to believe that cheating doesn't occur in sport, both amateur and professional. But I am idealistic enough to also believe that it doesn't have any place there, and should still be condemned and eradicated as much as possible. So on Monday, when several baseball players - including New York Yankees' star Alex Rodriguez - were suspended for the use of performance-enhancing drugs, I was very pleased to see it.
Rodriguez, in fact, received a particularly harsh punishment because he had lied and attempted to obstruct the investigation. At over 200 games - through the end of next season - he may not return to the sport at all. (A dozen other players received fifty game suspensions.) Rodriguez will be forty by the time his suspension is lifted, and has already had several significant injuries. He just may not be up to major league level again.
And I don't feel one bit sorry for him either. The only one I feel sorry for is his team. They will save something, but apparently will still owe him some sixty million dollars whether he ever plays again or not. I don't think that's right either. There should be some sort of standard clause in sport contracts stating that if an athlete is proven beyond doubt to have cheated (which science can do more effectively all the time), their contract is terminated immediately with no further monies forthcoming. That just might make a few people think twice!
No comments:
Post a Comment