(9:30 AM) This afternoon there will be an Apple “Event” ... and so I am preparing to be disappointed and disillusioned yet again. Of late Apple has been a disappointment, and I really don't see any indications that the product unveilings this time around will be so spectacular.
It's expected there will be two iterations of the iPhone: the faster 5S, possibly with a fingerprint sensor for security and an improved camera, and the cheaper 5C with who knows what specs. There may be an updated Apple TV. The newest operating system, iOS 7, should be just about ready for release too but again I don't expect great things. As of the latest beta, the iPad version in particular is still riddled with issues. I really dislike the new “flat” look as well; I much prefer good old-fashioned skeumorphism.
No new iPads are expected before October, and there's little mention of any updated iPods either. That's the one thing I actually would be interested in. If they were to release a 128 GB iPod Touch with an 8 MP camera I might seriously consider it. Otherwise I'm tending towards a discount Samsung Galaxy S3 for my mobile needs. I suspect the iPod Touch could be completely ignored this year; it's in kind of a weird position - particularly with a cheaper iPhone arriving - and definitely overpriced in my opinion. Anyway, I'll update my post later with all the “news” and my probably very subdued reaction.
------------------------------------
(2:00 PM) Well ... meh. That's about all I can say, having caught the highlights of the so-called “event” this afternoon. Yes iOS 7 will be released next week, but we didn't learn anything radical about it, and only the early adopters (who I won't be among) will be able to tell if all the kinks and bugs have really been worked out.
And yes there are two new iPhones. The so-called budget model is the 5C; the one with all the latest bells and whistles is the 5S. But really the off-contract price differential between the two is only $100, and your cheapest option is still a pretty hefty $549. I don't really call that a budget buy.
However if somebody were to generously offer me the 5S for free I'd happily take it. I don't particularly care about the fingerprint sensor, although I'm sure it's good from a security standpoint, but I do like the sound of the improved camera and the sample shots did look pretty impressive.
The one other announcement of interest is that the iWorks suite (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto and iMovie) will now be free ... to purchasers of new devices. (And apparently this includes the iPod Touch 5, which sort of suggests to me not to get my hopes up for an iPod Touch 6 any time soon.) That's disappointing. I'm sure a lot of people would happily have taken Apple up on that opportunity but, as seems to be Apple’s trend of late, owners of older devices seem to be pretty much shafted. Not exactly the way to win loyal users I'd say.
So now I wait for the next non-event, most likely sometime in October, to be most likely underwhelmed yet again. Too bad Apple, but I expect better from you.
No comments:
Post a Comment