Dan and I went to see "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" this afternoon (I think we were probably the youngest two there by a good decade!) It was a movie I'd been looking forward to for quite some time. And it was good - probably an 8 on my personal rating scale. It just wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped. I've been looking forward to reading the book it was based on too; I still may and will see if it fills in a few places a little better.
Basically, it's the story of a group of elderly British citizens who are brought together when they (with varying degrees of willingness) retire to a run-down hotel in India managed by a very enthusiastic, but administratively challenged, young man. It had several of my favourite British actors - Judy Dench, Maggie Smith, and Penelope Wilton - and I liked Dev Patel, who played Sonny the manager, a lot more than I'd expected to from the trailers. His character had more depth than it initially appeared, and his unquenchable optimism was refreshing.
My main complaint is with the ending - the last half hour or so was just too facile and moralistic. Everything wraps up perfectly in a neat little package, and in my sad experience life isn't like that. I found it hard to believe the crotchety old lady who wouldn't let a black doctor near her back in Britain is suddenly the hotel's new assistant manager. Or that the couple who had been together forty years would split up so suddenly ... and how convenient the recent widow whose marriage had never really been fulfilling has befriended the soon to be ex-husband. It was also a little too convenient when the mother who so opposes Sonny's girlfriend is reminded by a servant (who has supposedly been with the family forever but who we are only seeing for the first time) that she was in a similar situation years ago. And it's also very nice that the gay man is able to reunite with his love from years past - just before he dies from a heart condition and just in time for his friend to be able to give him a Hindu burial.
Despite too many happy coincidences for me (and that's saying a lot - I like happy endings) the movie was still very good. The acting was wonderful and the scenery fascinating. I feel as if I'd made my trip to India now - and don't really need to go back. The sights and sounds (and I'm sure aromas and tastes and weather) truly are vibrant and alive. It's a very special place with its own magic, but at the same time it is also so crowded and noisy that I know I wouldn't ever really fit in or be comfortable there. Still, I am very glad that for a few hours this afternoon I was one of the most honoured guests at the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. It was a lovely visit and I appreciated the experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment