It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.That's a quote from C. S. Lewis (brilliant man) that I read yesterday. And I agree it is a good rule in general. Kids know it instinctively, of course; they will ask for a favourite story to be read over and over ad nauseum. (My personal favourites were a little pink Noddy book and "A Child's Garden of Verses"). I used to reread on my own quite regularly too. I practically wore out my L. M. Montgomery books. I read the Little House series repeatedly too, and I've read my Betsy-Tacy book plenty as well.
But for quite a few years now I've done very little in the way of rereading. There is just so much new to read! I have dozens of unread books in my own library, hundreds of ebooks, and the libraries I visit have the annoying habit of acquiring tantalising new books all the time too. I do read a lot - far more than most people - but I already have plenty on my "to read soon" list ... do I really have room in my life to take the time on a book I've already read at least once? Life is finite, after all.
Yes, I think I should make the room for the literary stars in my life. Truly good books are always worth it. And every time you read a book you get something different out of it because every time you read it you are a different person. One of the highlights of my reading year so far was rereading "A Secret Garden". It was definitely worth it. I'd completely forgotten how wonderfully uplifting it is.
Perhaps one book in two is a bit ambitious, though. One in three or four might be more realistic just now - at least until I get caught up on my backlog. After all, there are a lot more books available than in Lewis' day! (I wonder if sequels/series books count? The individual volume may be new, but it's sort of like revisiting old friends and neighbourhoods you used to know.) Anyway, I do think I will plan on a little more rereading than I might have otherwise. I think it might be good for me to go a long way back to some of my old favourites. Perhaps I'll find a little bit of myself I'd forgotten there too.
No comments:
Post a Comment