Sunday, January 9, 2011

Huckleberry Finn is In Again

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word
is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."
                                                                                                                 - Mark Twain

Despite being published almost 130 years ago, Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn is still generating controversy. The latest is over a new edition that will replace all the instances of the "n-word" with "slave". The rationale is that this new, politically correct, version will be permitted into more schools and libraries and thus read more widely. I suppose there is some logic to that view, although I'm not in favour of banning books (certainly not from the high school level up; restricting - or at least shaping - young children's reading might have some merit). And I'm certainly not in favour of rewriting them. Authors are craftsmen who choose their words with care and are inevitably influenced by the prevailing culture and mores of their times. Twain was a serious wordsmith and even back then he would have been aware of the controversial nature of his choices ... but he made them anyway. And he would surely - and quite rightfully - resent any alterations. "Slave" is not a synonym for the "n-word". How much better it would have been to leave the word there, perhaps with explanatory notes on the historical context of its use, and then to have rich and meaningful classroom discussions. And what a shame to not be exposed to such an important book just because of one word. What about some modern books that are filled with expletives? I find those offensive and feel they detract from the story too. Anyway, the debate will go on but the new edition will be published. I only hope enough people read the original story as Twain intended it to be read ... but sadly it probably won't be those people who need it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment