Sadly, the one thing no ipad, ipod, or even supercomputer can do is create more time. Sure, they may speed up certain tasks, but in the long run every new device you bring into your life is a negative benefit time-wise. Even relatively low-maintenance products still need occasional updates, charging etc. My simple mp3 player is wonderful but I do need to plug it in sometimes, and of course if I want new music I have to find it, rip/download it to my computer, and then put it on my player.
The real downside, of course, is that with every new device come new temptations. New apps, new software, new games - you want to try it all, but it all takes time. I can download a magazine or book in a minute, but it's still going to take me hours to read (and I'm a super fast reader - tested at up to 800 words per minute!). Currently I have dozens of books and magazines I haven't read, want to read, but quite possibly never will. The almost limitless opportunities of our digital world are definitely a boon ... but I'm still very much a human. Along with all the opportunities will come the requirement to prioritize, to make careful choices about what I will actually consume. Even with so much out there to have, I can't have it all. Nobody can. It's just not possible for me or anyone else either.
No comments:
Post a Comment