Today, the third Monday in January, is “Blue Monday” - the most depressing day in the year. Nice to know we've gotten it over with so early and that it will all be smooth sailing from here on in!
Of course, as with economies, the situation that really matters most is your personal one ... and I suspect chances are that I will have far more depressing days than this one. Actually it was quite a pleasant day, bright and sunny, pretty frigid this morning but it had warmed up nicely by afternoon. I made applesauce and a stew for supper; I used my iPad for a while and will watch a bit of tv and read this evening. Not a bad little day at all, really.
Nonetheless, according to Cliff Arnall, a former professor from Cardiff, I should have been depressed. His complex formula cites six variables that come into play. There's the weather, naturally, at least for the Northern Hemisphere; perhaps they aren't so depressed in summery Australia. The rest of the factors are primarily tied to the holiday season. The Christmas bills are in, so debt is one issue. Motivation is slumping - and so are the resolutions made so hopefully just a few weeks ago. And there's a sort of general ennui associated with the holiday letdown and lack of anything fun in the near future. (Although, again, it's Martin Luther King day in the U.S. so at least most people there can have the luxury of being depressed at home.)
We do have our Visa bill now, and it's a biggie I'll be paying tomorrow. I haven't done a great job of writing anything; I was actually far more productive back in November. It wasn't a day off in Canada, so I didn't spend it hanging out leisurely with Dan either. Gee, maybe I should be more depressed!
But at least I don't have a post-Christmas letdown, because Christmas hasn't really ended around here yet. I'm never in a rush to take down my cheery lights and decorations; I generally leave them until late in the month. By then I'm good and tired of them and ready to embrace the airy spaciousness they leave behind. I still have one or two Christmas books and magazines I want to read; I may listen to a bit more Christmas music too since I didn't do it that much this season. By the time I'm thoroughly done with Christmas the days will be noticeably longer and brighter, and I'll be anticipating Valentine's day.
So, if today truly is the most depressing day of the year, then this year is going to be a very good one for me indeed. And goodness knows I certainly deserve it!
The "Blue Monday" formula (from Wikipedia):

No comments:
Post a Comment