Monday, January 2, 2012

Rose Bowl Beauty

This morning I had the great enjoyment of watching the 123rd annual Tournament of Roses Parade from Pasadena. Because New Year's was on a Sunday this year, both it and the Winter Classic outdoor hockey game were held today. I like it that way; it makes the holiday seem twice as long!

The Rose Bowl Parade is one of those things that would be on my “to see” list - if I actually had one. Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade would be cool too, with it's celebrities and Broadway performances. But I think the Rose Bowl Parade would be even better - the floats are prettier and must smell divine. The weather would be warmer too. My only problem might be the crowds, which I loathe; people even camped out overnight to get good spots. 

Anyway, today's parade was as wonderful as ever. It's started out with a flypass from the Stealth Bomber. There were bands and equestrians and of course beautiful floats. My favourite was Dick Van Patten's gigantic (world record size!) pet food float with a full-length pool. In the past it has had diving dogs; this year was cool Californian canines hanging ten (or maybe it should be twenty) on their pooch-sized surfboards. I also really loved the adorable miniature horses pulling tiny wagons, just big enough for one. They were soooo cute! All in all, it was a great way to start off a year I hope will be filled with many more fun moments to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment