I always feel my world gets bigger in winter. I can literally walk on (frozen) water. Yes I know that you can boat in summer, but with my puny arms I'm not going far in my canoe or kayak. On the lake in winter I can not only walk, I can ski or snowshoe, for miles if I desire. And if I'm very, very fortunate, I can skate.
That's what happened this week. I've been out on the ice three days and gone farther than I've ever had the pleasure of before. Good ice is rare and doesn't happen every year. At best you're lucky to get a few fairly small areas you can glide around in. But this week was extraordinary; I was able to go well past the sailing base to the west (and could probably have gone even farther too) and a bit around the point to the east.
The ice was a little thinner there, so I was cautious. I was careful everywhere, actually. I have no desire for a dunking in January. I'm always listening for the sounds the ice is making and judging its thickness. I may not weigh much more than 130 pounds, even all bundled up, but it's concentrated on two slender blades. When I do have to go past an inlet for a little stream, believe me I move fast!
This week’s skates were glorious, a little bit of pure heaven for me and moments I wouldn't even trade for a summer’s day. There is absolutely nothing that possibly could compare with gliding along, a cool wind brushing my cheeks. When the wind was behind me, it was effortless, as close to flying as I'll likely ever come. Everything is perfect when you skate. Even the sounds are magical: the glasslike tap of blades meeting ice, the sharp crackle of toe picks digging in, the swoosh as you stroke along.
I'm not a great athlete - or an athlete at all, really. I'm not especially well coordinated and I don't have the greatest balance or reflexes. But I have been skating since I was six - probably a little late for a Canadian! And I don't do any fancy tricks, particularly on ice that is a little uneven and bumpy in spots. Not even front crossovers. I wobbled a little in places, and I know I looked ungainly from time to time. And it didn't matter a whit. The whole point is just getting out and enjoying something I love to do. How much better than sitting inside shivering, waiting for spring.
When I walk back home after a good skate my legs feel so floppy and floaty and just plain happy. All of me is content. What a joy. What a wonderful, wonderful way to experience winter!
No comments:
Post a Comment