Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Do Nothing Day

Today was kind of a "do nothing day". I'm not sure exactly why, but it was rather refreshing. I think we all need those from time to time.

  • Maybe I was just plain tired; I actually slept in until 9:00! (Can't even remember the last time I did that.) Hershey has been scratchy and restless lately (itchy skin; we think his diet has been too dry and are adding a drizzle of olive oil at breakfast and a spoonful of Little Caesar meat at supper). So I guess I haven't been sleeping as deeply as I should for awhile.
  • Maybe it was the weather. It was grey, wet and cold - in short, November - today. I wasn't a total sloth; I did go out with the dogs for three walks. But I can't say I really enjoyed any of them.
  • Maybe it's the time changing tonight. Although I hate it and complain lustily about it every year, perhaps it's ingrained somewhere deep within me and my body has already adjusted itself.
  • Maybe I haven't completely vanquished the cold I've been staving off all week. I'm not really sick ... but I didn't feel quite perfect either most days.
  • Maybe it's just because I didn't plan anything to do. Usually I jot down three or more tasks to accomplish every day. But today my calendar was blank. There were a few things I thought about doing, but other than doggie detail, there was absolutely nothing I absolutely had to do. And that felt kind of nice. I wouldn't want every day to be so aimless, but it was awfully nice for today.
So anyway, whatever the reasons, not much productive got done. But I had a luxuriously long, hot shower. I finally got to finish the Alexander McCall-Smith book I've been reading ("A Conspiracy of Friends" - number three in the Corduroy Mansions series). I did a little research on wifi cameras (now that the iPod touch is no longer on my Christmas list, I'm looking for alternative ways to get photos to my iPad). We had an easy pizza supper, then I watched my beloved "As Time Goes By". And that's that: a pretty nice day, all in all. Now I'm about ready to head back to bed for another long autumn's nap. I think tomorrow will be more fruitful. But I also think we all need a "do nothing day" from time to time so that most of our days can be "do something days".

No comments:

Post a Comment