Yesterday was the U.S. election, and to my immense pleasure - and considerable relief - Barack Obama was granted a second term in office. I'm not alone in feeling that way either. A survey of Canadians prior to the election showed that some 90% of us would have voted for Obama given the opportunity; even more in Quebec where a mere 1% would have chosen Republican Mitt Romney. History has also shown that Democratic governments are generally better for Canadian interests.
What surprises me is that it was even a contest in the U.S., but it definitely was - and a very close one at that. Right until yesterday it was really too close to even predict, although there were indications that Obama had a slight edge. This turned out to be true; better than expected, in fact, as he won all the swing states. He still has to deal with a Republican congress, but that's nothing new for him.
So I'm very pleased with the result, but must admit I was a little worried for awhile. The first presidential debate was particularly concerning. Obama looked like a nervous little seventh grader who sort of knew his material, but obviously hadn't prepared for his oral. Subsequent performances were better, and he definitely delivered the best zinger of the campaign: Romney was complaining about how there aren't as many ships in the navy as there were back in 1916. Obama retorted that there also aren't as many horses and bayonets; things have been modernised now and we have things like nuclear submarine that Romney might have heard about. That was good!
Still, Romney didn't perform terribly. He looked and sounded quite presidential at times. The problem to me was that it was a little like the Emperor's New Clothes: there really wasn't much substance - or constancy - to his words. Over time I realised he would basically say anything to anybody to try to win a vote - sort of chameleon-like. But of course he didn't necessarily mean any of it. It got to the point where I felt like he was just lying through his teeth every time he spoke. If he said the sky was blue I'm not sure I would have believed him. But the casual observer who only saw him speak a few times could easily have been taken in.
I guess I don't get the Republican policies at all, really. To me they seem so heartless and uncaring. They don't believe in medicare; neither do they believe in the wealthy paying higher taxes. Romney himself, with some 14 million dollars of income, paid 13% - a lower rate than a very middle class person earning 50 thousand. How unjust is that! Of course nobody likes paying taxes, I suppose, but the rich should definitely do their share. To those who much has been given, much is expected - isn't that a basic tenet of a nation based on traditional values?
And what about being your brother's keeper and caring for the less fortunate? Shouldn't a person who's injured have access to medical care? And a person who has cancer shouldn't have to lose his home to pay for treatment. But those things happen and some people seem to think it's ok. When Naomi and Fred lived in California for a few years they saw that attitude first-hand. It's disgusting. To some, all people aren't created equal. They think they deserve better because they've been blessed with good jobs, intelligence, opportunities that others weren't fortunate enough to have. I wouldn't want to live in a place like that ... and I don't think Obama does either. That's why he's trying so hard to make things better for the average person. And I am very, very glad he's been given four more years to accomplish his objectives.
No comments:
Post a Comment