Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Participaction!

“Exercise, exercise, what's the big attraction?
Building up your heart and lungs - that's Participaction!”

That's an old ditty I remember from childhood - and, with today's obesity epidemic among youth (well, all ages really, but it's most dire for youth), one we could all benefit from still.

I did my part today: two long walks with my doggies, more walking at the shopping centre (where, unless I'm getting very heavy or bulky things I only ever park in one spot), the usual countless trips up and downstairs, and Pilates class to cap it all off.

I got into Pilates three years ago now. The community centre had an activity evening where you had ten-minute mini-lessons in a variety of disciplines and heard what each was best suited for. I pretty much instantly knew Pilates was what I needed. It strengthens your core, which in turn influences just about every other body part. It was perfect for my chronic neck and shoulder issues.

It still is. This year was a bit of an adjustment because we got a new teacher. It took me awhile to warm up to her and adjust to her style. At the beginning I didn't think she was going to be that good or teach that much. I still think she could explain the movements better - it's a very precise discipline and they have to be done correctly - but at least I had a good foundation already. And I like that she's doing a wider variety of exercises. Some days are better than others for my neck and shoulder (and very occasionally I hurt myself enough that I need a Robaxacet the next day) but overall it's a very good thing. My neck especially has improved since I began.

So I seem to have found my exercise niche. I'm doing my bit to “participact” and I hope other people find their own activities too. It especially hurts me to see sedentary kids. They're chauffeured to school and home, aren't allowed outside to play, and are pretty much glued to screens of various types for far too long. The amount of phys. ed in schools is laughable too. I could rant on and on, but the ultimate point is that if we want a healthy future, it needs to start with healthy kids today.

If I ran a school, every single day would begin with fifteen or twenty minutes of calisthenics and I'd encourage kids to walk or bike (or rollerblade, scooter, skateboard or even ski) to school every day too. Walking to and from school took me - most kids then - at least an hour a day. (the best was in winter, when I went the whole way climbing from snowbank to snowbank - awesome! And the idea that I was “exercising” never even entered my mind.) I'm absolutely convinced that if kids had more activity in their lives there would be far less hyperactivity in the classroom. Kids are made to move; we should be taking advantage of that in every way possible before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment