Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"Nano"WriMo


Today is the start of NaNoWriMo - the 13th annual National Novel Writing Month. The ultimate objective is to produce a complete 50000 word (or approximately 175 page) novel during the one month period from November 1st to 30th. And this year, for the first time, I am going to be a participant - albeit in my own unique way.
I have always wanted to write more, but I have never been successful at it. This year I have the twin luxuries of both time and an iPad. I have apps like iA Writer and Blogsy to write with; I have apps and web sites to track my progress. I have a laptop, a bluetooth keyboard. Really, what possible excuses do I have NOT to write???
I am not a novelist, however - at least not at this point in time. My objectives, therefore are significantly more modest. If I achieve them though, it will still be a HUGE breakthrough for me. My goals are simple and two-fold:
Each day I want to accomplish two things:
a) I want to write a blog entry. Any length. Any topic.
b) I want to write a poem. Ditto.
So my daily word count might be as little as a few hundred, far from the almost 1700 needed to complete NaNoWriMo successfully. For me, this project is more aptly called "Nano"WriMo; even the tiniest bit of writing will be a big achievement if it's done on a daily basis. Since habits are reputed to take at least 21 days to form, hopefully by the end of the month writing regularly will have become my new best habit. Wish me luck. I'm already one day and 293 words closer to my goal by the end of this sentence!

No comments:

Post a Comment