Sunday, November 20, 2011

New Boots:)

I live in Quebec thus, although it has yet to put in an appearance, winter is inevitable. So I was delighted today to find a new pair of winter boots on sale at Sears. I hadn't even gone footwear shopping - I was looking (fruitlessly, it turned out) for sheets and sweaters. But I passed through the shoe department and there they were: Kodiak's, 40% off, waterproof to the top of the ankles at least, warm to -50, and as good looking (nicer even, I think) as the 300$+ Uggs I'd been eyeing wistfully of late. They're tall and open wide to lace up easily over all types of pants. They're not shearling lined, but they do have a tasteful gray faux-fur trim around the tops. I tried them on - miraculously they had my size (7) and my colour (black) - and they fit as if they had been made just for me, which is also rather miraculous.

72$ isn't nothing either, of course, so I did think twice. But then I decided I deserved them. Interestingly, I'd just read an article today from psychcentral.com talking about how “what you do every day matters more than what you do once in a while”. The things you do (or want to do) regularly, that mean the most to you and are a part of your essential self - those are where you should be concentrating your time, efforts, and, yes, money too. I walk every day - long walks and through snow (often deep) in winter. Having boots that keep me cozy, warm and dry are pretty important and I know I'll be using and enjoying them a lot.
Similarly, I'm saving up for the iPad 3; it's something I use daily and I will truly appreciate more speed and storage in the next version. And naturally there's always room in my budget for another book or two! But eating out? Not really interested and don't enjoy it nearly enough for it to be worth the money. Not crazy about much travel either; I'd rather invest in the house I live in 99+% of the year. No desire for a new car either; as long as mine goes reliably from Point A to Point B, that's more than good enough.
It really does pay to know yourself; I'm so glad I made the right decision and I'm so looking forward to wearing my new boots. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment