First off, I adore Paisley. She's probably the nicest puppy I've even had. She has yet to meet one dog or one person that she disliked. She just goes up to them all politely, tail gently wagging, ears curled at the tips like the Flying Nun. She's pretty much housebroken (although you have to be quick enough to read her signs; she doesn't give a lot of warning). And, though she still has a fondness for the delicacy of carpet under-padding, her chewing is on the wane too.
There's just one teeny problem that's really trying my patience: she doesn't like to walk! Now I ask you, what sort of dog doesn't enjoy walkies? I've certainly never had one. But she is just so sensitive and so alert that everything overwhelms her. Sometimes she can only go a few steps before she has to stop and sit and adjust to the world again.
She has shown some improvement; last week we had a few good days but this week she's regressed again. Mornings by the lake are best; she seems really happy then. Afternoons are so-so and involve more coaxing and dragging. Evenings are pretty much pointless. I'm frustrated and she's not at all happy either. I rarely take her then; we're both happier if just Hershey and I go. And today I found we can add cold weather to the list of things she doesn't like. She sits and shivers and looks utterly miserable.
Of course she is pretty small and skinny yet ... and pretty young too. Still only four and a half months. But she's lived here for two and a half of those months. She should know the neighbourhood by now. Yet she still acts almost as scared on some streets as if it were day one, though she's walked them dozens of times. People reassure me that puppies don't like walking at first. I just wonder when they do start. I try so hard to be patient and encouraging, to make her feel more secure and confident. I chatter away cheerfully to her, and when she's walking well I praise her almost non-stop. Though I'd still adore her, I'd be pretty disappointed to end up with a puppy that didn't want to walk with me. So I really hope Paisley has a walking breakthrough soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment