A few weeks ago there was an interesting item from House Beautiful in my Flipboard app. It talked about how one of the newest trends in bedrooms is the “Snoratorium”. This is a sort of annexe or partition or even an adjoining room that one member of a couple can repair to when the partner is snoring. Along with twin beds - supposedly something every couple over 45 is perfectly fine with - this is the new way to sleep in the modern age.
It definitely has validity. People are so sleep deprived these days they need all the help they can get. And no matter how in love two people are, their sleep styles just may not mesh that well. After two nights of poor sleep I was more than content to move to my study (henceforth to also be known as my own personal snoratorium) last night.
Dan and I are very different sleepers so I've had plenty of experience there. For starters, though a warm room is fine to begin with, I like it to cool down overnight - 65 is plenty. I like to be snuggly in cozy pyjamas with a few blankets ... and a heating beagle. But Dan feels 72 is just barely warm enough - even with blankets. At that temperature though I sleep fitfully and, worse, am prone to bad dreams. Dan also likes the curtains open, which is fine overnight, but will wake me up first thing. I need the tv power light off and the alarm clock too. Plus I love the memory foam mattress in my study. I do have a memory foam pad on my half of our bed, but it just isn't as good. Then there's the issue of blanket sharing (Dan doesn't). All that before we even get to snoring. He does, though I'm sure I never do more than a gentle whiffle, despite claims to the contrary. And there's scheduling too. Dan can go to bed late, get up early and make everything ok with a midday nap. I need to rise and sleep at the same time pretty much every day and I just don't do naps.
Phew, that's quite a list - and quite a few reasons to prefer the comfort of my own bed. I love Dan a lot, but I can also love him a whole lot better when I'm well rested. A tired me is not a pretty thing. So whether it were in vogue or not, I'd still happily be spending nights in my snoratorium, but it is nice to know that for once I'm actually following along with the latest trend.
No comments:
Post a Comment