Today is just going to be a few addenda to yesterday's rumination about, well, rumination.
First off, I'll add two more suggestions:
11. USE THE COMPUTER. Nothing socially demanding like email or Facebook, but browsing to check if there are any interesting new books or magazines to download is ok. Very occasionally a non-stressful game for a brief time (otherwise I feel like I've wasted time). And, my gold standard: a visit to Cute Overload or LOL Dogs.
12. PLAYING WITH DOGGIES. Not just a casual toy toss, but down on the floor, rolling around on my back, completely engrossing play.
Being engrossed in whatever I've chosen really is the key. So long as I'm super busy and structured (remember those daily goal lists!) I do reasonably well. Even with the best of intentions, though, I still lapse badly.
So now for another tack, since all my previous suggestions might not be enough. When bad thoughts are going around and around and around in my head, I need words to replace them with - and fast. Here are my top three solutions:
A. “Breathe deep. Seek peace.” (That's from the Dinotopia books. Simple and straight to the point.)
B. “Ease the pounding of my heart by quieting my mind.” (From a poem about slowing down.)
C. “Bless me and grant me great increase. Be with me and bear* all my burdens. Keep me and all I love from harm and evil.” (That's my loose adaptation of the prayer of Jabez. I'm just not quite sure whether I should be asking God to bear my burdens or for Him to help me bear them. To ask Him to do it seems presumptuous ... but sometimes I feel that's what I need. I guess I'll just have to trust that He understands and will do what's best.)
No comments:
Post a Comment