Paisley and I “Pawsed and Prayed” this afternoon. We both attended the monthly service for animals and their human companions at Christ Church Beaurepaire. It was our second visit. Dan and Hershey came to the previous, pet blessing service.
This month's theme was remembering our departed companions, and I remembered Perky, Nicky and Topaze. I'm positive I'm a better person because of them; they gave me so much more than they ever asked.
It was also about seeing our dear furry friends again in Heaven. There have been lots of theories and debates over that one. The gist today was that a loving God will do everything to see that you are happy in Heaven ... and if happiness for you includes Fido or Fluffy, then Fido and Fluffy will be there too. That's pretty much what I believe as well. Heaven is supposed to be perfect. Without my doggies, it just wouldn't be. If there are going to be grass and trees and buildings and streets, why wouldn't there be animals too? It only makes sense.
The corollary, of course, is that you have to make it to Heaven too or there's zero chance of reconnecting with Fido. That brings me to another point: is having an animal church service “kosher”, so to speak? I'm sure there are people who would say no. They'd say animals have no place in a house of worship and distract you from God. And Paisley was a little more active this time than last, but she certainly was less trouble than a young child. Much more importantly, she's what drew me to the service. Without her, I wouldn't have been in church at all. The whole service I could feel love emanating right through her. And isn't God love above all else? If paws help you pray, bring you closer to God, then an animal service is exactly what at least some people need.
No comments:
Post a Comment