Yesterday I started reading “The Depression Cure” by Stephen S. Ilardi. I think I'm more stressed and anxious than depressed, but nonetheless I'm hoping some of the suggestions might be relevant. Today I read the chapter on rumination, which is probably my biggest downfall. Along with offering some ideas for dealing with it, he advised brainstorming your own list of techniques. So here are my top 10 ways to keep my mind occupied:
1. WII. Something active and engrossing like a dancing game, sports game or Exerbeat. Nothing too laid back like Endless Ocean or that might make me frustrated like Mario Kart.
2. WALKING. Not just a regular walk with the dogs where I'm frustrated by Paisley's pokiness or too many sniffing stops. Ideally alone (or with only Hershey; maybe that will change later) so I can go at a good pace, and in a new neighbourhood with different houses to look at. (Early evenings when lights are on but curtains are still open are great - I love peeking in and seeing how places are furnished!)
3. BIKING. Especially if I have a destination like the library or even the grocery store.
4. SHOPPING. (Window shopping is fine, but 10-20$ to spend would be nice too.) At a different mall with stores I don't usually see or go into.
5. FOOD. A little food treat (ice cream or a smoothie in summer, hot chocolate or soup in winter) would be an added bonus to a shopping trip or a bike ride. At home there's always my tea ritual.
6. BAKING. Following a recipe really focuses your mind plus you get to eat the results! Unfortunately there's a limit to how much Dan and I can eat too, so I can't do this every day.
7. READING. An familiar old favourite like Betsy-Tacy, or maybe a new book I've been saving and really looking forward to.
8. HOUSECLEANING. Not as much fun as baking, but useful too. Vacuuming is odious but engrossing. And if I listen to music while dusting, it goes a lot better. Which brings us to ...
9. MUSIC. Listening to, singing along with, and/or dancing to. I think it's important to be comfortable with silence, but maybe I've been having a little too much lately. Belting out tunes along with old favourites like “The Partridge Family” is always fun.
10. RADIO. Music (see #8) or talk radio if there's a topic of interest. Even better if I can then formulate my own opinion on the subject and turn it into a blog/journal entry.
No comments:
Post a Comment